Wednesday, March 16, 2011

the rest of December 2010

from December 12, 2010:

This week, I'm happy to say, has been a lot more... fruitful. I havebeen understanding a little more ilonggo and we have been able to seealot of our finding efforts from last week really start to progress. We have a few investigators that are just great. Right now our biggest concerns are finding potential priesthood holders, working to strengthen our ward by helping the ward leaders to take charge, and working with less active families, because that is the big problem in the Philippines. Retention is so hard. Only about 1/4of our ward is active. yikes. I do really love our ward though. The people are great.

It's the creepy things I could do without. The other day, I saw a spider as big as my HAND in our apartment! and every night our ceilingis literally covered in little geckos called "tikis". My companion said not to be surprised if one falls on me at night. hahaha.

Oh yeah, my very first day here, I plugged in my clock and it exploded. So now I will never ever forget to put in my adapter. ;)

So Christmas is coming and we just had our stake Christmas party! There were some pretty awesome dance numbers.

I get to call home this week! International calling cards are REALLY expensive here, so what everyone does here is they SKYPE! haha. So I think that's what I'll do!

THANK YOU for your support and prayers!
Maayong Pasko, kag Halong! (Merry Christmas and Take care!)

-Elder Lee

A photo from Adam's Christmas Eve Skype call!


from December 27, 2010:

I miss Christmas back home, but it was soooo good Skype!!

We are working hard still. This Sunday, Sacrament Meeting started only 20 minutes late, instead of an hour and a half! woo hooo!! hahahah. It's the little joys in life that count, right? ;)

Anyways, here's the deal with the balut (chicken embryo-a delicacy in the Philippines). I am NEVER going to eat it again, but it didn't taste too bad. like... it was kinda of salty.... and eggy... and sour? If that makes sense? Wasn't as good as the pig's blood soup, but oh well. the part that got me was the texture. I kind of had a gag reflex while I was eating it. not good. haha. but it was a good end to the Christmas night!

Tomorrow is our ward's Christmas party, so really it's like Christmas is still going. On Friday for New Year's Eve we get to watch Disney movies in our apartments, so that's exciting!

We had a baptism the other week, a man and the rest of his family was baptized just a few weeks before we got there. The Pelingon family is new to the church. Their baby got really sick for a few days, so we headed over to teach them about priesthood blessings and offer to give one. They had me do it, even though it was in English, and I swear RIGHT after the blessing, the baby stopped crying and went to sleep. It was instantaneous. The next day the family told us that beforehand, they had spent alot of money going to doctors and trying other cures, but nothing worked. Only the priesthood did, even though it was in a different language. So they said from now on they are going to call the Elders, until the dad has the priesthood. :) I just thought it was such a testimony builder of the power of the priesthood and so many other things.
Anyways, I'd better go. I'll keep workin hard! :)

-Elder Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment