Wednesday, December 1, 2010

surprise package, babylon, leadership, Elder Bendar, Tagalog lessons

from NOVEMBER 15th:

Kumusta mga kaibigan at pamiliya ko!

Well, funny story about the package mom got to send with Brother Barker. I actually hadn't recieved it by the time she sent the letter talking about it. Brother Baker kept forgetting to give it to me, so it was pretty funny to read that she had met Brother Baker and he was at the studio! I had no clue that that's what he was up to! hahaha. What a great guy. I thanked him a ton for that. I'm excited to hear how the dance kids did at dancesport. it is SO WEIRD to think that it is going on across the street from where I am basically!

Actually, I have another story. This week was pretty crazy. My companion got an ingrown toenail and had to go get it lanced at a podiatrist, so they gave us permission to go to "babylon"! We drove with a service missionary down by the football stadium and Wyview and all the streets I used to walk down when I was at school. I have to admit it was pretty weird. When you're in the MTC, it feels like that is IT. hahaha. It was eye-opening for sure. Another weird part of that was sitting in the pediatrist's office in the REAL world with my missionary tag on and studying tagolog by myself. IN the MTC, you're surrounded by missionaries so it's normal. but it was just such a learning experience to be there by myself. I don't know how to really explain it.

So yesterday we were made official zone leaders, so our reign of dictatorship started last night. hahaha. joke-lang (just kidding). The oldest district leaves in about 3 hours, so everyone is saying their goodbyes and stuff. Last night was pretty crazy though because it was our first night as zone leaders and all of the oldest district was going crazy because it was their last night, but I don't think it will be a problem anymore. We'll see. I can't believe we are the oldest district! I feel like we still know nothing. haha. Well we get to meet all of the new district and talk to them and give them tours on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, so that should be fun. I'm sure you'll hear about them next week. My kasama and I have been studying leadership all week, so we'll see how it goes from here on out.

We had our FOURTH apostle in a row come this week. This time it was Elder Bednar, and, obviously,it was AMAZING. :) He talked about the difference between doctrines, principles, and the applications we do to live those principles, and how no one will willingly follow an application (like living the word of wisdom or law of tithing) if they don't understand the doctrine behind it both in their minds and in their hearts. Did that make sense? I hope so. hahaha. I thought it was something to think about.

We also taught our first lesson in all Tagolog this week. we've been doing it all week, but Thursday was when we had an actual pretend investigator. (That is kind of an oxy-moron, isn't it? hahah.) Anyways, that was the night we went to "babylon", so it was kind of a mess. While we were gone, they changed the time on us, so we got back and they were halfway through their lessons, so they put us with a random investigator. We had no scriptures, no preparation, knew nothing about them, and had 15 minutes to teach the lesson. It was an adventure. hahaha.

That's it for this week!

WRITE ME for free, right now! dearelder.com
Remember, after Dec. 6th all letters must be sent to the PHILLIPINES.

No comments:

Post a Comment